Moderation policy — Digital Strategy for Aotearoa online discussion
In this policy, any references to ‘we’ or ‘our’ means the Department of Internal Affairs Te Tari Taiwhenua (DIA).
We welcome and encourage you to post your thoughts and ideas. Naturally, we want discussion to be as free and open as possible, but please be aware that these discussions will be moderated. This is not to censor your opinions and comments, but to maintain a standard of friendly and effective discussion.
This discussion belongs to DIA, which is responsible for moderating and publishing comments. However, individual comments remain the view of person posting them and cannot be taken to represent the views of DIA.
We will do our best to ensure that posts that do not meet our requirements are not published.
All posts are subject to moderation before publication. If a post breaches one of these requirements below, it will not be published.
Even if your posts aren't published, they'll still be included as we consider contributions.
What happens after I post?
- Posts will be published during standard working hours — comments are subject to moderation before publication and we’re moderating Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.30pm. Moderation hours may be adjusted according to demand.
- We will endeavour to approve eligible posts within 2 hours of submission during the above hours. There may be a delay at busier times. Posts received after hours will be moderated the following week day morning, or if received on a Saturday or Sunday, then on Monday morning.
- Posts that duplicate existing ideas may be locked to keep the conversation in one place.
Requirements for posts
Your post must:
- be relevant to the topic
- be respectful of other submitters and their posts
- be reasonably concise
- meet the communication principles of the Harmful Digital Communications Act.
This means that, among other things, your posts and username must not:
- defame or falsely represent a person or an organisation
- contain anything illegal (including defamatory material), confidential or commercially sensitive
- contain offensive language
- contain racist, sexist, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane or sexually orientated comments
- make an offensive comment about a person’s personal characteristic
- reveal personal details of others (for example, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and other contact details)
- contain images, videos, or hyperlinks to other websites.
Please do not spam the forum. Only post a comment once and don’t resubmit or submit a comment that is similar. This is so that others are not discouraged from submitting.
Also, your post should not promote a service or product, unless it is relevant to your discussion.
Whether we publish it or not, your post will be subject to the Official Information Act 1982.
Updates to this policy
This policy may be updated from time to time without prior notice.